The Rhome Police Department provides vacation house checks for residents who completes this application, and who are living in single family homes while they are on vacation or out of town for an extended period of time. Generally, the service is provided for a maximum of 14 days. While you're away, the officers will walk the exterior of the premises but do not enter the backyard. The officer will check the windows and doors to ensure the residence is secure.
Our goal is to conduct a house check daily, but the frequency at which this will be done depends on the availability of the officers. Priority and emergency calls must take precedence. It is important to remember that the greatest "crime fighter" in town is you. By taking a few preventative measures, you can add to your own security force.
The City of Rhome, by and through its Police Department, does not guarantee by extending this courtesy that your residence will not be damaged, burglarized, or otherwise receive harm in your absence and will therefore not accept any liability for your participation in the program.
- Make sure all your doors, windows, and entryways have locks that are functional and are in the locked position.
- Unplug or turn down the volume on your telephone.
- Have someone you trust pick up your daily newspapers and mail or call and have those services stopped until your return.
- Let your trusted neighbors know the dates you will be gone and ask them to report any suspicious activities occurring at your residence to the police.
- Leave lights on in several rooms so the house appears occupied.
- If you have an operational home security system, utilize it.
- If there is any damage to the home or remodeling being done, please note this on the form.