close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Resolving Your Violation

*****   IMPORTANT NOTICE  *****
>  A "FAILURE TO APPEAR VIOLATION" BEING ISSUED with an additional fine/fees/costs
>  A WARRANT MAY BE ISSUED FOR YOUR ARREST with an additional fee

Under our American system of justice, all persons are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

*** Your plea must be entered in writing ***   A telephone call does NOT constitute an “appearance”.

You must submit your plea in writing either in person or by mail within 20 calendar days from the date of your citation (the plea deadline, also noted as the "appear by" date, is printed on your citation in the "court information" section).

You need to carefully read both sides of the instructional plea document you were given with your citation. If you did not receive an instruction document with your citation, it is very important you email the court at and ask for it to be emailed to you.  Or you can go to the court and fill it out there in person.

Your plea options are listed on the lowest portion of the document.  Read each one very carefully.  If you have questions regarding whether you qualify for a particular option, please contact the court clerk at 817-636-2333 or by email at 
- Class A and B commercial license holders do not qualify for options 2 (deferral) or 3 (driver safety course) for Rules of the Road (moving violations), per Texas DPS laws.

You must select one option per violation (you can possibly choose the same option for multiple violations. Contact the court to see if you qualify).

Please be aware---if you fail to submit your written plea either in person or by mail as required by law within the 20 day deadline, a subsequent violation of Violate Promise to Appear may be issued and additional fines/fees/costs assessed.  As well, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and a hold may be placed on your driver license preventing you from renewing your license and/or registration of your vehicle until the citation has been resolved in full.

**** After you have thoroughly read the instruction document outlining your plea options but still have questions, you can contact the court....
phone:  817-636-2333
Business Hours:  Monday - Friday, 8 am - 4 pm  (lunch taken daily from 1:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.)

Do not delay - if you are not sure of your options, please contact the court clerk immediately.
You only have 20 calendar days to enter an appearance and submit your written plea.

1.  NOT GUILTY - means that you deny guilt of the violation, or that you have an affirmative defense in your case.
You are entitled to request a trial by jury (Jury Trial) or you can waive a jury and request a trial by judge (Bench Trial).
You have the right to represent yourself (Pro Se) or you have the right to hire an attorney to represent you.
You will be put on a court docket and will receive (by regular USPS mail) the formal setting notice with the date and time of your setting.
2.  GUILTY - means that you admit you committed the violation charged against you and that you have no defense or excuse for your unlawful act.  (A plea of Guilty may be used against you in a civil suit)
3.  NOLO CONTENDRE (NO CONTEST) - means that you do not plea Guilty, but you do not wish to contest the charge against you. (A plea of nolo contendere (no contest) cannot be used against you in a civil suit.)

ENTER YOUR PLEA - (Plea options printed on instruction document given to you by the citing officer):
Please note:  The presiding judge in this court has standing orders with stipulations not noted on your citation regarding plea options #2 and #3  (contact the court if questions)

1.    Plea of Not Guilty – Contest the citation and request a trial by judge or by jury.

2.    Plea Guilty or No Contest (circle one) – Waive your right to trial by jury (Jury Trial) or trial by judge (Bench Trial), accept a conviction of the violation, agree to pay the fine/court costs/state fees within 45 calendar days from the date of the citation.  The violation will be closed as a conviction and may appear on your driving record and/or criminal record.

Plea Guilty or No Contest (circle one) –  Waive your right to trial by jury (Jury Trial) or trial by judge (Bench Trial) and request Deferred Disposition (probation) for ticket dismissal.  You agree to pay the fine/costs/fees assessed plus $50.00 deferral fee within 30 days, no new violations in the City of Rhome for 90 days, and the violation will be dismissed upon successful completion of ALL deferral terms.
--- The presiding judge for this court has standing orders regarding other conditions of deferral that may apply to you.
--- If you received a speeding violation and the alleged speed is more than 20% over the posted speed limit, the judge may require additional deferral conditions for dismissal.
--- If you were involved in an accident, deferral is not a "window" option.  You must request a court setting and will be required to appear in person to discuss the violation with the State's Attorney (prosecutor) and can request deferral at that time.  It will be up to the State if an offer of deferral is to be made.
    Class A or Class B Commercial License holders are NOT ELIGIBLE for Deferred Disposition (probation) for any violation, per Texas State Statute.

4    .
Plea Guilty or No Contest and request to take a Texas Driver Safety Course for ticket dismissal.
***  (You cannot have taken a Driver Safety Course for ticket dismissal within the past 12 months prior to the date of your citation for any other court in any state.)
***   When you submit your citation with your plea marked to take a DSC for ticket dismissal, you must also submit the following with your citation:
       a.  A clear copy of your current and valid Texas Class C Driver License or military license (or the spouse/dependent of military)
       b.  A copy of your Auto Insurance ID Card showing that it is current and effective for at least the next 90 days and must
            show you as a covered driver.  If you do not own a vehicle, you can provide a "non-owner's coverage" policy.
       c.  A copy of your Type 3-A Driving Record you can print from the TX DPS website:
      d.  You must pay court costs & state fees in the amount of $144.00 (or $169.00 if the violation was in a school zone)
      e.  You must complete a Texas Driver Safety Course within 90 days from the date of your plea (online or in-person course
            is acceptable)
           *** Google or search:  "TDLR Approved Texas Driver Safety Course"  (not a Driver Education Course)
           *** Pick one that states  "Free email delivery of certificate of completion"          
           *** Pick one that costs $25.00,  6-hour Driver Safety Course  (choose "Course Only" - you do NOT need the driving
                record from the DSC course company.  You will print it from the TX DPS website above.)
          *** Print the certificate of completion - you need to sign both the top certificate and bottom certificate.  Submit the
               ORIGINAL, SIGNED TOP "COURT COPY" certificate to the court on or before your due date assigned by the court.
               You need to mail the lower portion INSURANCE COPY to your insurance company. (An emailed certificate will not
               be accepted by the court.)
-- - Out of state license holders do not have the option to take a Driver Safety Course for ticket dismissal unless you are active military, or spouse/dependent of active military member.
-- - Class A & B Commercial license holders are NOT ELIGIBLE for DSC, per the State DPS statute.

FIX-IT VIOLATIONS SUCH AS EXPIRED INSPECTION, EXPIRED DL, PROOF OF VALID AUTO INSURANCE, WINDOW FILM (window film-removal of film, or UV compliance proof, is required for dismissal)
---  All "Fix-it Tickets" must be resolved within 20 calendar days from the issue date of the citation.  You must also pay any required Dismissal Fee at the same time (dismissal fees in CASH ONLY /exact amount required (court does not have change) - contact the court for the dismissal fee amount.
---  If you received a citation for Expired Registration violation, you must tell the DMV when you go to renew your registration that you received a citation for expired registration.  The DMV is required to collect a "Late Registration Fee"If you do not pay the "late" fee to the DMV, the court cannot dismiss your violation as "Compliance Dismissal".

ALTERNATIVES TO FULL PAYMENT :  Time Payment Plan, Community Service, Indigent Status, Jail Credit
If you enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest, waive a trial by jury or by judge, and accept the conviction of the violation, but are unable to pay the fine in full by deadline, you can submit a written request for a payment plan hearing, or you can request an "Indigency Hearing" if you feel you are truly qualified as Indigent Status.  It is your responsibility to research to see if you qualify for "indigent status".  Upon receiving your written request, you will be scheduled for a hearing.  The judge will discuss your financial situation to decide how best to accommodate your ability to pay and may present alternative options to payment in full.