Rhome Municipal Court
RHOME MUNICIPAL COURT
||*** IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you carefully read the entire instruction document (front and back) the officer gave you when he/she handed you your citation.
*** IF you did not receive an instruction document from the officer, you need to email the court immediately at email@example.com and request it.
*** You are required to submit the original signed document WITH YOUR CITATION to the court within 20 calendar days from the date of your citation (the "Appearance Date/Plea Deadline" is printed in the "Court Information" section on your citation.)
*** For each violation you received, you are required to select a plea option, sign and date the document, PRINT your best contact and mailing information, and submit the document with your citation to the court within 20 calendar days from the date of your citation.
*** For fine amounts, contact the court either by phone or by email. (I am in process of getting them posted on the website for your convenience.)
ATTENTION: DO NOT PAY YOUR CITATION UNLESS -- you want to waive a trial by judge or by jury, enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest, and accept a conviction of the violation. If this is your plea, your payment is due in full within 45 calendar days from the date of your citation. Upon receipt of full payment, your citation will be closed as a conviction and may appear on your driving and/or criminal record.
** FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE - There is a 24-hour drop-slot in the front door of Rhome City Hall for after-hours payments or document submission.
--- Court is located inside City Hall at 501 North Main St., Rhome, Texas 76078.
*** You must submit a written plea either in person or by mail by submitting the ENTIRE original citation back to the court not later than the "Appearance Date" printed on your citation which is 20 calendar days from the date of issue of the citation.
*** Please be aware if you fail to appear either in person or by mail, as provided by law, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and a hold may be placed on your driver license preventing you from renewing your license and/or registration of your vehicle until the citation has been resolved in full.
THERE ARE 3 PLEA TYPES: (you need to choose ONLY one for EACH violation you received).....
You must submit a written plea of Not Guilty and with your request for a trial by jury (Jury Trial) or a trial by judge (Bench Trial).
You have the right to represent yourself (Pro Se) or you do have the right to hire a licensed attorney to appear on your behalf.
Once the court receives your plea of NG, your citation will be placed on a court docket and you will be required to appear in person at all settings, unless you hire a licensed attorney to appear on your behalf. You will receive notice of all settings by US Mail. Therefore, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to immediately update the court with any address or phone number change until you have completely resolved your citation in this court.
2. PLEA OF GUILTY - means that you admit the violation was prohibited by law, that you committed the violation charged against you, and that you have no defense or excuse for your unlawful act.
PLEA OPTIONS FOR TICKET DISMISSAL THAT MAY BE AVAILALBE TO YOU:
1. Deferred Disposition (probation) for ticket dismissal - enter a written plea of Guilty or No Contest, pay an assessed fine/court costs/state fees PLUS a $50.00 "Deferral Fee" not later than 30 days from the date of your plea (required), cannot receive any new violations in the City of Rhome during a determined deferral period (typically for 90 days), and any other conditions that may be required as ordered by the judge or as required by TX DPS statute). Dismissal of the violation upon successful completion of deferral.
**** COMMERCIAL LICENSE HOLDERS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THIS OPTION
2. Driver Safety Course for ticket dismissal - reduced fine will be assessed (either $144.00 or $169.00 depending on type of violation) - Eligibility requirements include: you must possess a current and valid Texas Class C driver license or hold a current military driver license (or are the spouse of, or a dependent of, military personnel), you must provide proof of current and valid auto liability insurance showing you as a covered driver (can also have a "non-owner policy" showing you as a covered driver), and you cannot have taken a Driver Safety Course for ticket dismissal for any other court in any state within the last 12 months from the date of your citation in the City of Rhome.
*** You must submit the following items WHEN YOU submit your plea: printed copy of your DL, printed copy of your current and valid auto insurance ID card, and a printed copy of your Type 3-A Driving Record from the TX DPS website: https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/txldrcdr/TXDPSLicenseeManager
*** COMMERCIAL LICENSE HOLDERS & OUT OF STATE LICENSE HOLDERS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THIS OPTION
3. All "Fix-it Tickets" must be resolved within 20 calendar days from the issue date of the citation and the "dismissal fee" must be paid at the same time. (please contact the court for the dismissal fee)
VERY IMPORTANT -- If you received a citation for Expired Registration, you must tell the DMV when you go to renew your registration that you did receive a citation for expired registration. They are required to charge you a "Late Registration Fee". If you do not pay the "late" fee to the DMV, the court cannot dismiss your violation as "Compliance Dismissal" per State Statute.
**** COMMERCIAL LICENSE HOLDERS may not be eligible for this option under TX DPS statute. Please contact the court for questions.
IF YOU NEED ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS TO PAY OR A PAYMENT PLAN - SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST IN WRITING --
*** If you have entered a plea of Guilty or No Contest and have been ordered to pay an assessed amount, but you are unable to pay the amount owed in full by deadline, you can submit a written request for a payment plan.
*** If you feel you qualify for "Indigent Status", you can submit a written request for an "Indigency Hearing" (it is your responsibility to research to see if you qualify for "Indigent Status"). You will be required to complete an Indigency Packet provided by the court regarding your financial obligations and ability to pay. You must submit the packet to the court for the Judge to review and discuss with you at a scheduled hearing.
*** An Administrative Hearing will be scheduled for the judge to discuss with you alternative payment options.
*** You will be required to appear in person at all hearings (an attorney cannot appear for you at an Administrative Hearing).
JUVENILE OFFENDERS - 16 YRS OF AGE OR YOUNGER AT THE TIME OF THE VIOLATION ----
- ALL JUVENILE OFFENDERS ARE REQUIRED BY STATE LAW TO APPEAR IN OPEN COURT WITH THEIR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN TO ENTER A PLEA ON ALL VIOLATIONS ISSUED
--- Minors who fail to appear or who fail to pay their fine as ordered will be reported to the Department of Public Safety. You then risk a suspension of your driver's license. Minors who do not have a driver's license will not be able to obtain one until their case is resolved in full.
WARNING: A MINOR child and parent or legal guardian required to appear before the court have a legal obligation to provide the court the current residential address and contact information of the minor child and must keep the court notified in writing of any contact or address updates until the violation has been resolved in full.
*** If you need a continuance regarding your Court setting - you must submit the request in writing to the Court no later than 72 business hours prior to your setting date and time. The judge will make a decision whether or not to grant the continuance. You will be notified in writing of the Judge's decision. If the continuance is granted, a new setting date and time will be mailed to you at the mailing address on file with the Court.
SPECIAL EXCEPTIONS AND/OR SPECIAL NEEDS ACCOMMODATIONS -
*** The Court complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you require special services (sign interpretative services, alternative audio/visual devices, amanuenses) or if you do not speak or understand English and need an interpreter, please inform the court immediately so to allow the court adequate time to comply. To make arrangements, call 817-636-2333, or TDD 1-800-RELAY, TX (1-800-735-2989).